Friday, November 22, 2013

Meet Patrick Yagiela

Meet Patrick Yagiela- Band Instrument Repair Technician


Q.  Where did you go to school?  What was your degree in?
A. For my bachelor’s degree I studied Music Education at Saginaw Valley State University back home in Michigan.  In 2011, I completed the two-year band instrument repair program at Western Iowa Tech before starting here at Instrumental Music Company.

Q. What is your favorite instrument and why?
A. I’m a big fan of Irish traditional music so my favorite instrument is probably the flute.  In Irish traditional music the flutes are mostly wooden and have very few keys compared with modern flutes and both of those aspects enhance the rich, velvety tone of the instrument.  Either that or the uilleann pipes.

Q. What do you love about working at Instrumental Music Company?
A. I really enjoy the people I work with.  Each person really has a unique background and experience.  Chuck is so knowledgeable about vintage saxophones, mouthpieces and accessories, and Randy remembers all kinds of features that were present on older models of brass and woodwind instruments.  Sometimes I just find myself struck by just how much they know.

Q. Do you do anything with music outside of Instrumental Music Company?
A. My wife Melissa and I both play saxophone and are community members at the Silver Lake College Wind Ensemble.  I’m also in the process of arranging the tunes from “A Charlie Brown Christmas” for a jazz quartet to perform at a friend’s coffee shop around Christmas.

Q. What is your advice for beginning musicians?
A. Be patient with yourself, and be honest.  Playing an instrument can take some time to build your ability to where you want to be and it doesn't happen overnight.  Sometimes it can be frustrating when you don’t feel you are making the progress you want to make, we all feel that way from time to time, but take a step back, set a goal for yourself and work there bit by bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment