Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Instrument with the Funny Name

Author: Pat Scasny- IMC Representative, Retired Green Bay Public School Instrumental Music Teacher

My first encounter with the instruments of the string family came when I was in the fifth grade.  The music teacher at my school said she had just received a brand new cello and it was just my size!  I was intrigued with its “funny” name and yes, it was my size, standing about as tall as I was.  It was a beautiful instrument with its reddish brown color and curved features.  I was told to sit down and the teacher placed the instrument and me in the proper playing position.   I gently plucked the lowest string and immediately heard this deep resonating sound that I could actually feel.  I knew at that moment, my journey into the string world was about to begin.

The cello is the second largest instrument in the string family.  Upon first glance, the cello looks like a big violin.  Since it is larger than the violin, the cello sounds much lower and is played while seated, with the performer’s legs on either side of the instrument.  The cello has an endpin which rests on the floor supporting the instrument.

The cello is made of wood, typically spruce for the top and maple for the back, sides and neck.  In less expensive instruments, the top and back are made of laminated wood.  Ebony, a hard black wood is usually used for the fingerboard, nut and tuning pegs, though other hardwoods such as rosewood or boxwood can be used.  The top and back of the cello has an inlay border called purfling.  While decorative, it is also functional.  If the instrument is struck, it can prevent cracking of the wood.

The cello can be played pizzicato, meaning to pluck the string or with a bow.  The bow is generally made of pernambuco or brazilwood.  The bow hair is traditionally horsehair but synthetic hair can also be used.

My journey with the cello ended after eighth grade sadly, because our high school did not have a string program.  I did take another instrument in high school which I eventually majored in while pursuing my music degree.  I always dreamed of getting a cello at some point in my life, so after I retired, I purchased my very own cello from the instrumental Music Company.
Stop in at the Instrumental Music Company, 2908 Ontario Rd, Green Bay, WI, 54311 and maybe your dream may come true too!


No comments:

Post a Comment